The government has launched its latest plan to boost the economy after the effects of the coronavirus crisis. While it’s a step in the right direction, it’s clear the government is still clinging to climate-wrecking business as usual.
This plan is far from the green and fair recovery we urgently need. But there’s still time to improve it. The government will be working on the plan ahead of its next big announcement in the autumn.
Will you sign our petition and demand that Chancellor Rishi Sunak delivers an economic plan that helps us build a greener, fairer and safer future for everyone?
Instead of rewarding polluters and ignoring growing health inequalities, the government should:
- Invest in making walking and cycling safe for everyone.
- Create thousands of green jobs and end fuel poverty with a huge programme of home insulation.
- Remove tax breaks from big polluters.
- Provide councils and nations with funding to aid local recovery.
- Scrap the £27 billion earmarked for climate-wrecking road programmes.
- Help workers from polluting industries move into clean ones.
- Attach conditions to company bailouts that cut emissions.
- End UK government investment in overseas coal, oil and gas projects.